Inspired by The Nourishing Home, decided to try this recipe out.
Prefer mini versions of this, so ended up with quite a few mini cupcakes! It was my first time baking with coconut flour too, and it smelt so good! Hoping to try a few more of such recipes.
Few years back, did dabble with some gluten-free recipes. But I wasn’t able to follow through, simply because I didn’t get enough resources….so left it as it is.
Since I’m determined to take better care of my health now, I’m going to take a slow but steady approach to eliminating more unhealthy stuff, and incorporating more of easy yet delicious & healthy recipes. Slowly easing myself into it…it’s all about getting the right balance.
Realistically, it’ll take a while..so I’m not going to beat myself up over a little indulgence here & there once in a while. By His grace, I’ll have breakthroughs in my health! Yes, because He promises to restore my health & heal all my wounds! Amen amen. 🙏
Gluten-free Lemon-drop Cupcakes:
1/2 cup organic coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 sea salt
1/2 cup pure honey (I used manuka honey, not sure if there’ll be any difference)
1/4 cup butter, melted (or coconut oil)
4 large eggs
3 tbsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp, + 1 tsp fresh organic lemon zest
1. Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees C. Zest lemons then juice them; set aside. Save 1 tsp of zest for topping.
2. In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, baking soda & salt.
3. In a large bowl, use electric mixer on low speed to beat together honey and melted butter till creamy. Next, beat in eggs, lemon juice & zest till well-combined.
4. Add dry ingredients to the wet, blending till batter is smooth and fluffy. Spoon batter into muffin cups; do not overfill.
5. Bake for 10-12 mins (depending on your size). Allow to cool completely before topping with lemon zest.
I did it without the frosting and it was delicious all the same! Definitely not the same texture as you’d get from a typical cupcake, but I guess it’s all about getting used to the difference, and exploring a new aspect of baking!